CUP & SAUCER on Canal Street at Eldridge Street on the Lower East Side was founded in 1940 as a Jewish #luncheonette complete with a lunch counter and stools as well as a small seating area. Inlaid on the terrazzo floor is a gold cup and saucer. It has been co-owned by John Vasilopoulos and Nick Castanos since 1988. Photo from 2009 and full interview (excerpt seen below) from our new book "STORE FRONT II - A History Preserved".
"We took over this luncheonette from the second owner in 1988, but we haven’t really changed a thing about it. We have the same interior and the same original #signage from the Coca-Cola Company. As long as the bolts holding our sign in place hang on, we plan to keep it."Cup & Saucer was founded when this area was the center of the Jewish-owned jewelry trade. Now most of the #Jewish jewelry places have closed and moved to the midtown Diamond District and Chinese-owned stores have moved into the neighborhood. So we lost most of our old-time customer base and corporate accounts. Years back, we had our regular clientele who didn’t even have to place an order, we would just see them walk in and start cooking their food and pouring their coffee for them. Our menu, however, has stayed the same with#eggs in the morning and #hamburgersand simple sandwiches for lunch."
John Vasilopoulos, co-owner John told us recently that the building they are located was just sold to new owners and he expects the rent to double. Go in there now and grab a breakfast special of two eggs any style with #potatoes, toast and coffee, tea or juice for only $5.00
Our visit to Cup & Saucer was featured in Metro. "As NYC wrestles to keep local businesses open, couple keep documenting dying storefronts James and Karla Murray's sequel to 'Store Fronts' comes at a time when local leaders are fighting to preserve old-school streetscapes. " Chester Soria for Metro