Saturday, July 16, 2016

Casa Oliveira has been operating as a liquor store in Greenwich Village since 1934 after Prohibition ended.

The overhanging #neonsign was installed in 1935 but the #neon on the facade was installed in 1950 when the store was renamed Casa Oliveira after the owner Fred Oliveira purchased the business. It was originally called A. Rossano Wines & Liquors. The present owner told us about the extensive history this #wine 🍷and #liquor 🍸store has including that it operated as a speakeasy during Prohibition. Photo and full interview with the owner appear in our book "New York Nights".

1 comment: