Monday, May 6, 2019

Tony’s Park Barber Shop in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

We absolutely love this old-school #barbershop ๐Ÿ’ˆand its owner, Tony Garofalo who first began working at the shop in 1964 after arriving from Italy. Although he told us that he didn’t speak a word of English when he first arrived, the neighborhood was predominantly Italian so he quickly fit in and less than a year later was able to purchase the shop and later the entire building. We originally photographed the shop in 2006 for our book, “Store Front: The Disappearing Face of New York” and also had the chance to watch him work. Sadly, we just heard from our friend @americansquares that Tony has retired and closed the shop. We wish him the best and will always remember watching him cut the hair of a youngster whose father also was a long-time customer of Tony (see below).


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog you explained very well about you experience. I was looking for the Barber shop brooklyn and found your site you are really good, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No other barber comes close,been cutting my hair since I was 10 now that I’m 55 I’m going to miss him so much I wish you the best my friend God Bless you and Blessings to Laura your wife.God Bless Tony❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete