Sunday, September 9, 2018

Coney Island Bialys and Bagels in Brooklyn

This bialy shop was founded by Morris Rosenzweig in 1920 after Morris immigrated from Bialystock, Poland...the city that gave the #bialy its name. The business was strictly wholesale at first, delivering their freshly baked bialys by horse 🐎 and buggy. The shop added #bagels to its name and menu in the 1970s. When we photographed the shop in 2009 for our book “Store Front II- A History Preserved” we spoke with the 3rd-generation owner, Steve who told us that in their heyday that they were baking a thousand dozen bialys each day but that business had dwindled in recent years to the point where they only sold a few hundred bialys each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment