Friday, January 19, 2018

Frank Campanelli R.I.P.

Frank Campanelli sitting outside Joe's Dairy, a #homemade mozzarella shop in the South Village in 2008. We were very sad to hear from a relative of the family of the passing of Frank Campanelli this week. Although this #momandpop store closed in 2013, we fondly remember its delicious fresh mozzarella, which was made on the premises daily in both regular and smoked flavors. When we took this photo, the owner Anthony Campanelli told us that "When I am ready to retire, it will probably be a lost art in my family because I have a daughter but I won't allow her to do this. It's a lot of hard work. It's not that a woman couldn't do it, but you have to get up really early and work long hours". Photo and full interview with Anthony appear in our book "Store Front: The Disappearing Face of New York".




No comments:

Post a Comment