Monday, May 4, 2020

It is with heavy hearts 💔 that we are sharing the news that Evelyn Barbarino, the owner of OLDIES BUT GOODIES passed away from Coronavirus at the age of 98.

This lovely shop in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was founded by Evelyn in 1972 and specialized in a wide variety of antique jewelry, figurines and assorted household items. 

We interviewed Evelyn in 2013 (when she was 91 years old) for our book "Store Front II - A History Preserved" and she shared with us that, “When I first opened my store in the late 1970s, this neighborhood was strictly Italian and Jewish but now it has become mostly Chinese. They are good customers but I often have a language barrier with them because I don’t speak Chinese and many of them don’t speak English. I have to write prices down for them on paper and we negotiate that way. This store is a home away from home for me and I am always here, seven days a week.”

 • R.I.P. Evelyn 🙏 you and your wonderful store will be missed!


No comments:

Post a Comment