Wednesday, February 27, 2019

OLDIES BUT GOODIES in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was founded in 1972 by Evelyn Barbarino.

The shop specializes in a wide variety of antique jewelry, figurines and assorted household items. We interviewed Evelyn in 2013 (when she was 91 years old) for our book "Store Front II - A History Preserved" and she shared with us that, “Before I opened this store I had an outside table in Manhattan on 26th Street at 6th Ave. where I sold antiques. But the lot was sold and eventually a large building was erected in its place. When I first opened my store in the late 1970s, this neighborhood was strictly Italian and Jewish but now it has become mostly Chinese. They are good customers but I often have a language barrier with them because I don’t speak Chinese and many of them don’t speak English. I have to write prices down for them on paper and we negotiate that way. I rent this space on a month-to-month lease and my landlord just raised my rent considerably. I don’t want to leave but if the rent goes up again, I will be forced to close. This store is a home away from home for me and I am always here, seven days a week.” We are happy to report that the shop and Evelyn are still going strong πŸ’ͺ!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment